,, ', JV
DISTAXCES TO TLEASURE RESORTS.
To Diamond Cove, - 5 miles.
" Pleasant Cove, 5
" Indian Cove, .--... 5
" Peak's- Island, Westerly landing, - - . 33^
" Peak's Island, Southerly landing, . . 4
" Peak's Island, Trefethen's landing, - - - 41^
" Bangs' Island landing, ----- 4
"White Head, 41^
'• Flirt Preble, - li/^
'' Capo Cottage, .3
" Portland Light, - - - . . 31^
** Ocean House, 8
" Cape Light, . 9
" Atlantic House, Prout's Neck, - - . 10
" Libby's, Prout's Neck, 11
*' Evei-green Cemetery, ---.,. 2\4
" Mount Calvary Cemetery, - - - . o
<* Forest City Cemetery, ly,
'' Marine Hospital, 2
•• Reform School, 2}4
DISTANCES OF RAILROAD STATIONS FROM PORTLAND.
Distances to Stations be-;BoinKlary Line
tween Portland &> Bos- Shcrbrooko
PORTLAND, SACO, & PORTSMOUTH R. R
South Berwick 38
Newburyport ^ 72
J7"ly ^0 Ganliner .
St. Ilyacinthe 262
23 Westbrook . .
Between Portland and
KEXNEBEC & PORTLAND RjVILROAD.
Lynn . . .
Boston . .
SOMERSET & KENNEBEC R.ULROAD.
ANDROSCOGGIN & KENNEBEC R.
r 9 Lewiston ■
BOSTON & MAINE RAILROAD.
Groat Falls ... 40
Haverhill 79 Lewiston 34
Soutli Lawrence SO "Winthrop 54
Andover S9 Kcadfield 6*^
Reading' 102 "SVest Waterville 76
Boston 112 Waternlle 83
Livermore Falls 66
Between Portland and
GRAND TUUNK RAILWAY. PENOBSCOT & KENNEBEC RAILROAD.
Falmouth 5 Kendall's Mills I 80
North Yarmouth 15,1^'"^S^^'
Pownal 1S| —
nZ\ VORK 4; CUMBERLAND RAILR
]\Iechanic Falls 37 Woodford's Corner.
Oxford 41 Morriirs Corner . . ,
South Paris 4S Saccarappa
Bethel 70 tiorham
Gorham 91 |l$uxton Center . . . .
Island Pond 1 49 Saco River
f 0l'tl,l|.il :uiil f tci«it|
TO WHICH IS APPEXDED A
SUMMARY niSTOM OF PORTLAND,
HOIST. ^\rjM:. AVILtilS,
wirrr :\rAPs axd sixteen illustrations
PUBLISHED BY B. THURSTON AND J. F. RICIIAEDSON,
AT THE COMMEKCIAL NEWS ROOM, 79 JIIDDLE ST.
1 8 - O .
Entered accordinj? to Act of Congress, in the year of our Lord 1859,
By B. TnuRSTOx and J. F. Riciiakdsox,
In the CUnk's OfTice of the District Court for the District of Maine.
TV Thmvlmi. Printer. J. F. riichniil^on. EiiirraviT.
That Portland is destined to figure as a large city
cannot be doubted by those who consider its geograph-
ical position, relative to the vast productive regions of
Canada and the West, and its fecilities of water com-
munication. Its growth has been gradual, but as
substantial as gradual. Even during the commercial
disasters, M'hich have so shaken the whole business
world Avithin the two or three years past, it has
materially advanced in business and permanent popu-
The number of inhabitants in the city at present is
about 30,000. In 1854, as appears by the census then
taken, the population was 2<5,'±18. In 1850, it was
20,815; in 1840, 15,218.
Portland is situated on a peninsula which juts into
Casco Bay, the harbor being on the south-easterly side,
and an inlet known by the name of " Back Cove," on
10 GUIDE BOOK FOR rOKTLAXD AND VICINITY.
tlie north-westerly side. This peninsula is about three
miles from north-east to south-west, and of an avera<ze
breadth of about three-quarters of a mile. Its nar-
rowest breadth is about midway of its length, being
scarcely half a mile.
Its latitude, observation taken from the New Custom
House, is 43 deg., 39 min., 27 sec; longitude from
Greenwich, (England,) 70 deg., 15 min , 40.-1 sec; lon-
gitude in time, 4 hours, 41 min., 2.7 sec.
The land rises from the center of the city into a
])rominence at either extremity, that at the north-east
being called Munjoy's Hill, and that at the opposite
extreme, Bramhall's Hill. The highest point, above
the mean level of the sea, is on Bramhall's Hill, 175.5
feet; the highest on Munjoy, IGl feet. The lowest
])oint on the summit of the ridge between the two hills
is on Congress street, at the head of Ham])shire street,
57 feet. Congress street runs the entire length of
the peninsula, and the ground slopes gradually to the
water on either hand, affording every facility for driiin-
age that could be wished— and in part from this cause
Portland is one of the healthiest cities in the world !
The English traveler, Latrobc, in his published work,
"The Rambler in North America," says, .'• Imagine
our surprise and delight when * * * we found
in the unsung and neglected Portland, scenery that for
beauty, variety and extent, far exceeded any views of
the class in the States." iVrhiMs this encomium is
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 13
not undeserved ; but the writer was somewhat in error,
in speaking of our local scenery as *' unsung and ne-
glected," for it has frequently received the warm praises
of writers and tourists.
The ^ty itself, rising roof above roof, interspersed
with its steeples, towers, cupolas, and forest trees, as
seen on entering the harbor by the ship channel, pre-
sents an imposing and beautiful appearance, suggestive
of a place of thrice its actual extent. From several
points in Cape Elizabeth and from the Westbrook side
of Back Cove, also, it shows to fine effect.
"• She looks a Sea Cybele, fresh from the ocean,
Rising with her tiar.a of proud towers
At airy distance, with majestic motion,
A ruler of the waters and their powers ! "
But it is for its surrounding scenery that Portland is
quite as much famed.
At each extremity of the city is a promenade, one
hundred and fifty feet in width, and lined with young
and thrifty shade trees. These promenades are graded
into three sections, two for walking and one for riding ;
and the succession of views developed in passing along
them is almost unrivaled. From that at the west end
following around the brow of Bramhall's Hill, at an
average elevation of nearly 175 feet above the mean
level of the sea, the eye takes in beautiful combina-
tions of water, farm, forest, village and mountain
scenery, which may be beheld to best advantage when
the tide is full, especially if this be towards sunset.
14 GUIDE BOOK FOT^ PORTLAND AND VICTNTTY.
From the eastern promenade, which sweeps around
Munjoy, the views are quite as attractive, comprisinj^
the fiir-reaching waters of Casco Bay, with its emerald
islmds ; the ocean and rocky shores of the Cape on
one side, and the trending headlands of Falmouth and
Cumberland on the other.
From North street, likewise, when the tide is in,
the views are surpassingly beautiful — and should not,
by any means, be suffered to escape the notice of
strangers. But we reserve a more detailed description
of these, to an account of them as seen from the tall
red tower on Munjoy's Hill, called
From the look-out here, at an elevation of about
225 feet above tide-water, the eye may wander till
wearied over prospects that none can look upon with-
out admiration — sweeping the horizon on every side.
North-easterly, lengthen the waters of Casco Bay,
winding around scores of emerald green islands, many
of which are still clad with primeval forests, and re-
main as wild, luxuriant, and soHtary as of old, wlien
" Only the Indian's birch canoe
Along the far blue waters flew,"
while others show the neat cottages and green clearings
of the fishermen, and perchance the staunch little craft
in which he braves the dangers of the ocean during
all weathers, lying in some secluded cove near by.
An easterly view takes in the fortifications erecting
on Diamond Island ledge, the lower harbor, the
breakwater, forts Preble and Scammel, (which com-
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 17
mand the ship channel), the four light-houses, and the
diversified scenery of Cape Elizabeth, with a broad
sweep of the ocean,— which has no break in that di-
rection, for thousands of miles, — whose restless billows
may be always seen breaking in foam along the sunken
reefs, or bounding, snow-like, from the iron ramparts
of the Cape.
South-westerly, the eye surveys the inner harbor
and shipping, the roofs, spires, cupolas, and green
shade trees of the city proper, the plains of Scarbo-
rough, a portion of the pretty village of Stroudwater
and its shining inlet, the noble buddings of the State
Reform School lifting their turrets against the sky like
some castellated relic of the feudal ages — " Deering's
Bridge " and its white tide mills, and its grove of no-
ble oaks beyond,— and for away the spires and dwell-
ing-houses of Gorham ; with the mountains in Bald-
win and Hiram still more distant, and following the
horizon thence, a little to the south may be seen Mt.
Agamenticus in " Old York," blue and lone, a well-
known landmark for vessels bound toward the coast.
The north-westerly view includes the waters of
Back Cove, with Tukey's bridge ; the fine old woods,
grassy lawns, and neat residences of some of the re-
tired citizens of Portland on the farther side of the
Cove, the railroad and Back Cove bridges, the new
Marine Hospital at Martin's Point, the picturesque
shores of Falmouth and Cumberland, with *'Fore
Side Village," and a vast extent of hills, forests, and
waters, terminated by the cloud-like summits of the
White Mountains, eighty miles distant by an air line.
18 GUIDE BOOK FOR TORTLAND AND VICINITY.
The detour thus takes in scenery of every variety ;
and if the spectator should wish to extend his vision,
and redeem prospects and objects from the gauzy vail
of the remote atmosphere, he has the facility for so
doing in an excellent telescope which is hung in the
glass dome of the building.
Popular names expressive of some characteristic of
the places which they designate obtain in this country
as well as in some parts of Europe— and Portland
bears the soubriquet placed at the head of this pai'a-
graph, on account of the noble shade trees that line
her principal streets. They number more than three
thousand, principally elms and maples ; and from some
points, in summer, they almost hide the dwelling-
houses from view.
The principal public buildings are the old Custom
House, corner of Fore and Willow streets; the new
U. S. Government building, comprising rooms for the
Custom House, the Post Office, and U. S. courts, cor-
ner of Exchange and Middle streets, — this is of gran-
ite, of elegant proportions and symmetry, and in an
imposing situation ; the new City Government build-
ings, head of Exchange street, containing accommo-
dations for the state courts, the registry of deeds,
the various branches of the city government, &c.
The front is of Nova Scotia freestone, from the Albert
quarry, of a greenish drab color, resting on a rustic
base of the same material, the whole to be covered
CITY GOVEEXMEXT BUILDIXG.
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 21
with a dome— its cost will not fall short of $200,000 ;
the new " Natural History " building, Congress, near
head of Chestnut street ; the City Hall, junction of
Federal and Congress streets ; the Mechanics' Hall,
corner of Congress and Casco streets ; and the new
Jail, on Anderson street. But the city is famed less
for its public buildings than for its
Of these, the stranger Avill notice the mansion of
J. B. Brown, Esq., on the western promenade, that
of T. C. Hersey, Esq., on Danforth street, that of
R. S. Morse, Esq., corner of Park and Danforth streets,
that of Hon. John M. Wood, on Middle, head of Sil-
ver street ; and many others of almost equal dimen-
sions and architectural pretension, on State, Danforth,
Pligh, Spring, Park, Gray, West Congress, and other
Owing to the destruction of several large hotels by
fire, M'ithin a few years past, the city is not so well
provided in this particular as the business of the city
and the traveling public sometimes require. The
" United States," junction of Congress and Federal
streets ; the " Elm," corner of Federal and Temple
streets; the ''American," on Fore, between Exchange
and Lime streets ; the * Commercial," corner of Fore
and Willow streets ; and the " Central," on Lime
street, are among the most important. Two new ho-
tels are partly finished, one of M'hich, built of marble,
and one of tne kirgest buildings in the State, is
22 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
Wood's, fronting on Middle, and occupying the square
between Silver and Willow streets, — and the Preble
mansion, corner of Congress and Preble streets,
which is remodeling and enlarging, to be used as a
Schools and Churches. — For particulars in ref-
erence to these, see page 71.
SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTIONS, &c.
A " Society of Natural History " has been in
existence here for some seventeen years. It had found-
ed a museum, comprising collections in almost all de-
partments of Natural History, at cost of much labor
and money, which was destroyed by fire in January,
1(Sj3. Not daunted, the society at ones went to work
again ; and have succeeded in getting together quite a
handsome cabinet, embracing collections of birds, rep-
tiles, shells, minerals, fossils, &c., which are deposited
in fire proof rooms in the Merchants' Bank Building^
Exchange street, and are occasionally open to the })ub-
lic, free of charge.
The society have a new building of large propor-
tions and handsome finish, nearly completed, on Con -
gress, near head of Temple street, and ere long bid fair
to be one of the most j^romincnt institution:! of lliis
character in the Union.
Th-j Portland Atheneum, incorporated in 1820,
has for its object the supply of its share holders with
reading mitter, and his a library of o-er 10 000 vol-
umes, over Canal banki II "jr rooms, Middle street.
NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY BUILDING.
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 27
-.E Young Men's Mercantile Library Asso-
ci uroN furnishes popular lectures in winter, and has a
h'br jvy of considerable extent, which is rapidly increas-
Rooms, 106 1-2 Middle street.
e Mechanic Association seeks to improve in the
mical arts, and for this object holds occasional
The cultivation of the literary taste of its mem -
is sought in the establishment of a library, which
3idly augmenting. Regular meetings 1st Thurs-
of every month. In 1858, they erected a large
beautiful building for their accommodation. It
Is at the corner of Congress and Casco streets,
is one of the finest structures in the city.
^.le Haydn Association attend to the musical
wants of the city, of a sacred character, and have suc-
cessfully brought out the more celebrated oratorios.
Young Men's Christian Association have rooms
at No. 144 Middle street, which are open to the pub-
lic. They hold a prayer meeting every Wednesday
evening, and have a hbrary.
Masonic Institutions.— The branches of this Or-
der, which hold their meetings in the city, meet at Ma-
sonic Hall, 56 Middle street, as follows : Ancient Land-
mark Lodge, 1st AYednesdayin each month; Portland
Lodge, 2d AVednesday; Atlantic Lodge, 3d Wednes-
day ; Council of Royal and Select Masters, 2d Monday ;
Mount Vernon R. A. Chapter, 3d Monday ; Portland
Encampment, 4th Monday ; Grand Lodge, 1st Tuesday
in May; Grand Chapter, 1st Wednesday in May;
Grand Encampment and Grand Council at the annual
23 GUIDE BOOK FOR TORTLAND AXD VICIXITY.
Convocation in May; Dunlap Sov. Chapter of Rose
Croix de H. meeting quarterly on 1st Monday of
March, June, September, and December.
Odd 'Fellowship. — There are three Lodges and
two Encampments of Odd Fellows, viz : Machigonne
Encampment, No. 1, and Eastern Star Encampment,
No. 2; Maine Lodge, No. 1, meets at Odd Fellows'
hall, 28S Congress street, every Monday evening; An-
cient Brothers' Lodge, No. 4, meets Wednesday, and
Ligonia Lodge, No. 5, every Saturday evening, at 88
Sons of Temperance. — Portland Division, No. 9.5,
meets Friday evening, at 89 Federal street; Forest
City, No. 3, Wednesday evening, at Odd Fellows' hall.
Congress street; Eastern Star, No. 17, AVeducsday
evening, at Carleton's hall, Munjoy hill.
Good Templars. — Arcana Lodge, No. 1, meets
Thursday evening, at Odd Fellows' hall.
The Washington Total Abstinence Society. —
Organized May 14, 1841— the pledge-book of which
numbers four thousand names ! It holds its meetings
regularly every Sunday evening, at the old City Hall.
Commercial News Rooms, 79 Middle street (to
which strangers are admitted free) are supplied with
the principal newspapers of the virious sections of the
Union, Canada, and New Brunswick, and a few English
The facilities for boat sailing, th3 delightful drives in
almost every direction from the cir.y, and the " water-
'- ^~ '--. ^-
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 31
ing pluces " in the vicinity, attract numerous visitors
in the summer.
Casco Bay, an arm of which makes the harbor of
Portland, is unrivaled for romantic beauties. Its sur-
face is broken up by more than three hundred islands,
scattered irregularly so as to present to the tourist who
may be drifting over its summer wave, an ever- varying
series of enchanting views. Noav his boat glides along
under some rocky shore, so near that he may seize the
down-stooping forest branches, and swing himself, if so
inclined, on the jutting points; anon some tranquil in-
let opens, revealing the fisherman's cottage, with its
garden patch, and its sheltering wood in the rear, and
his trimly painted skiff courtesying to the waves in
some protecting nook near by. Again the scene as-
umes more wild and primitive aspects — craggy ledges
grown gray in opposing gale and billow, bold promon-
tories surmounted by trees of gigantic proportions,
above which, high in the blue heaven, perchance sails
the bald eagle ; long reaches of glimmering sand beach,
upon which the weary waves, from all the way across
the broad Atlantic perhaps, pitch forward as if glad to
find a resting place.
Then there are forest embowered coves and grassy
openings, that have known no changes, save such as
Nature has wrought for ages, inviting him to their cool
retreats. In short, the adventurer may thus sail on
for days, amidst ever-varying but always interesting
If he wishes to fish, let him round to in any of the
pissage where the water is of sufficient depth, and
32 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICIXITY.
throw over his lines, and he may soon have on board a
mess of noble haddock— and then, if he be so minded,
he can steer for some one of these beautiful coves, and
any boat skipper of Portland can make him a chowder,
such as the sage of Marshiield delighted in. Or if he
prefer a fish fry, let him run in near the shore, at any
point where it is bold and rocky, and a half hour will
suffice to procure a mess of cunners (sea perch) by
many considered as good pan fish as are taken out of
Diamond Island, formerly called Hog Island, (a con-
traction of Quohaga, the aboriginal name of the local-
ity) has several coves, such as has been alluded to, the
most noted of which is that whence the island derives
Diamond Cote, five miles from the city. The shores
of this beautiful inlet are bold and rocky, and rise on
either hand, to the height of thirty or forty feet, crown-
ed with immense beeches, maples, oaks and ])ines,
some of which throw their branches far over the water,
affording shelter alike from the sun and sudden show-
er. It is further secluded from the ocean by a gem of
an islet seaward, whose slopes are covered with a thrifty
growth of silver firs and other evergreens — and
"The forests far extending round
Ne'er to the spoiler's axe resound,
Nor is man's toil or traces there.
But resteth all as lone and fiiir,
The sunny slopes, the rocks and trees.
As desert isles in Indian seas,
Tliiit sometimes rise upon the view
Of sjmj far wandered, wind-bound crew.
Sleeping alone midst ocean's blue."
GUIDE BDOK FOIl PO?.TLAND AND VICINITY. 35
Pleasant Cove is another delightful resort at Dia-
mond Island, with a fine sand beach, precipitous rocks
on either hand, crowned with trees, and a semi-circle of
velvet green-sward, over-arched by the long armed
beeches and maples — distant from the city five miles.
Indian Cove, at the northerly extremity of Dia-
mond island, and five miles from the city, has a fine
vSleep beach;' and the ridge which forms its westerly
side is over-shadowed by a clump of thrifty oaks, under
which one can look out on every hand, upon prospects
whose diversity and beauty can but charm the eye.
A pleasant day in summer will usually see gay par-
ties of ladies and gentlemen scattered around the
shores of these coves, some engaged in cooking the sa-
vory chowder, some wandering among the trees, some
dancing on the green-sward, some fishing for cunners —
thus enlivening the aspect of the frowning rocks and
the shadowy aisles of the wood.
Peak's Island, four miles distant, is much resorted
to in summer by pic-nic parties from the city and sur-
rounding regions, as well as by strangers from abroad,
especially Canadians — who go there to enjoy its exhila-
rating sea airs, and to avail themselves of its superior
facilities for salt water bathing. There are several very
comfortable boarding houses here, the principal of which
are the " Peak's Island House," the " Summer Re-
treat," the '• Casco House," on the southerly part of
the island, and the '• Mantre d House." Fine views
of the city, the ocean, the ship channel, the forts ; and
I the watering jjl.ic-^. light houses, and residences along
the shores of Ca[)e E'iz.ibeLli may be enjoyed here.
36 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
Two steamers, the " Casco " and " Gipsey," make
several trips to this Island, daily. See page 78 for par-
ticulars as to time &c.
Bangs' Island, four miles distant, is also a place of
frequent resort in summer. It is the outmost island of
the southerly group, and the unobstructed waves from
the broad ocean sweep its wild and ragged shores.
White Head, at the northern extremity of this isl-
and, is a castellated bluff of perpendicular rock, at
least one hundred and fifty feet high, against the base
of which the restless sea thunders continually; and the
views from its summit, of the wide ocean, the rock
bound, breaker-beaten shores, forest-clad ridges, and
green openings of Peak's and Long island, of the city,
and the Cape, are hardly inferior in extent or attract-
iveness to those from the observatory.
The steamers touch at this island, when passengers
to the number of half a dozen may request.
I^ersons fond of yacht sailing, can always hire neat
and trim craft at the city, kept specially for the pur-
pose; but those who are not accustomed to manage
sail boats, should obtain the services of experienced
hands, which they can readily do for a trifling sum.
Cape Elizabeth, on the south-easterly side of
Portland harbor, and stretching away oceanward some
three leagues, possesses a diversity of scenery, and
many objects of attraction to the tourist. Its bold
cliffs, wild and ragged, and in mniy places shattered by
the onslaughts of tempests, or upheaved by the levers
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 39
of the winter frosts, are incessantly lashed by breakers.
The watering places on the Cape are worthy of all ce-
lebrity, and have become fashionable resorts.
Cape Cottage is the nearest to the city, being only
three miles distant. It is a large and commodious
structure, built of stone, in the Gothic style of archi-
tectm-e. It would be difficult to imagine anything
more pictm-esque than its location. In front, outposts
of the grassy knolls and hollows which surround the
house, is an array of ragged cliffs and sunken ledges,
about which the breakers are forever toiling ; and be-
yond is the ocean, stretching without a break to the ho-
rizon. On the left is the main entrance to Portland
harbor, and every vessel of magnitude which enters or
leaves the port passes in full sight. In the distance
are the outer islands of Casco bay.
A drive along the coast five miles further, or a more
interior road, direct from the city, will bring the ex-
The Ocean House. — This is a large and handsome
establishment, situated near the pitch of the Cape,
where the benefit of sea air and sea sports may be en-
joyed in perfection, while its cupola commands a diver-
sity of interesting prospects, from the ragged reefs,
bold headlands, far-reaching sand beaches, and surging
waters of the ocean, to the calmer pictures of woodlands
and cultivated fields. It is eight miles from the city.
The direct road hence to Portland is generally in fine
40 GUIDE B30K FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
The Two Lights, and Fog Bell Tower, at the pitch
of the Cape, nine miles from the city, are the center of
a romantic locality, often resorted to by pic-nic parties.
Portland Light, which looks out over the ocean
from a tall bluff of the Cape, three and a half miles
from the city, affords views quite as varied, vast, and
beautiful, as those of the Cape Cottage.
Fort Preble, just at the mouth of the harbor, is
interesting rather for the neatness with which it is
kept, and the fine views commanded from its muni-
ments, rather than from the extent of the fortifications.
It may be reached by crossing to the Ferry Village by
the steam ferry, and a walk thence of half a mile — or
by a pleasant drive of two miles, around by Cape EUz-
Prout's Neck, in Scarborough, a lone promonto-
ry, jutting far into the ocean, is much resorted to in
summer, from all the region round. At the westerly
extremity of the Neck, is situated
The Atlantic House. — ^This is a favorite hotel, ten
miles from Portland, specially eligible for the enjoyment
of sea air and bathing — and as to picturesque attrac-
tions, may rank with the Ocean House and Cape Cot-
There is no hotel on the promontory proper, but the
excellent family who own and occupy it provide house
room for pic-nic parties, take care of their horses, fur-
nish lines and bait to catch the cunners abounding about
the shores, for the fry, which is considered an indispen-
sible feature in the dinners here — and furnish table
GUIDE BX)K FOR PORTLAND AXD VICINITY. 43
ware, and cheerfully do everything in their power to
render a visit agreeable. Not unfrequently, as many
as eighty or a hundred vehicles, embracing all descrip-
tions in use, may be seen at this place at once ; and the
cliffs, the fields, and far-sweeping, white sand beaches,
scattered _over with groups of gay loiterers, present a
most enlivening appearance.
Turning from the borders of the ocean, inland, for
places and objects worthy the consideration of the
The ]\I.\rine Hospital at Martin's Point should
not be passed by. It is a large and handsome build-
ing, in a retired locality, commanding pleasant views
of the sea and country.— just the place where the wea-
ry and disabled sailor would choose to rest. It. is two
miles from the city.
The Eeform School, a prominent object across the
water from the westerly end of the city, two and a
half miles distant, within the limits of the town of Cape
Elizabeth, is worthy of a visit. It is a State institu-
tion, intended for the reformation of young lads, who
render themselves am. enable to the criminal laws, and
has been productive of much good in its way.
Evergreen Cemetery, the principal burial place of
the city, is a secluded and beautiful area of undulating
woodland, about fifty-five acres in extent, particularly
attractive to those who love the quietude of umbra-
geous walks, and the gentle admonitions of the grave.
There are many fine monuments here, and much at-
tention has been paid to beautifying the grounds. It is
44 GUIDE BOOK F:)?v PvORTLAND AND VICINITY.
two and a half miles from Portland, near the village of
Stevens' Plains, in Westbrook. An omnibus runs sev-
eral times daily, to and from Portland, and the York
& Cumberland, and Kennebec Railroad cars, pass with-
in half a mile of the place. Fare on the omnibu:^>
12 1-2 cts., on the cars, 10 cts.
The Eastern Cemetery, within the limits of the
city, at the corner of Congress and Mountfort street*?,
is interesting, from being the oldest burial place of
Portland. Here lie the remains of Commodore Ed-
ward Preble, who commanded the American squadron
during the gallant operations which resulted in the re-
duction of Tripoli in 1804, and whose deeds on other
occasions contributed largely in elevating the character
of the American Navy.
Here, too, side by side, surmounted by substantial
tomb tables, are the remains of Capt. Blythe of the
British brig Boxer, and Capt. Burroughs of the Amer-
ican brig Enterprise, who were both killed in the san-
guinary engagement which took place between the two
vessels, off the harbor, in September, 1813— which re-
sulted in victory to the American.
The Western Cemetery, on Bramhall's hill, has
long been used for interment, and is the resting place
of many who have occupied prominent positions in the
Mount Calvary Cemetery, in Cape Elizabeth, the
burial place of the Catholics, was recently consecrated,
but it Avill in time be a very attractive place ; and the
same might be said of Fori:s r City Cemetery, which
was opened by the city in 1859.
rKOUT'S NECK, [rage 40.]
GUIDE BOOK FOll PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 47
MANUFACTURES AND TRADE.
Portland owes her prosperity to her commercial oper-
ations, rather than to her manuflicturing interest. There
are several kinds of manufactures, however, which are
cirried on successfully. Of the establishments in this
line, the principal are
Brown's " Sugar House," corner of York and Ma-
ple streets, an immense nmge of buildings, where su.
gar is made from molasses, at the rate of two hundred
and fifty barrels per day. One hundred and fifty hands
are employed, and the consumption of molasses ex-
ceeds twenty five thousand hogsheads per annum.
The Portland Company's Works, foot of Fore
street, are occupied for the manufacture of Railroad
Locomotives, Railroad Cars, Steam Engines, and oth-
er machinery of various descriptions, mostly connected
with the requirements of Raih'oads. The work turn-
ed out from this establishment has gone to every part
of the country, and bears a high reputation for its
strength, durability, and superiority of finish.
The Gas Light Company has been in operation
ten-years, and are furnisbing to all parts of the city
gas lights of a superior quality, at a charge of $3 50 a
thousand feet, with a deduction of five per cent, for
monthly payment?. The streets are brilliantly illumin-
ated by this company, in which the cori)oration of the
city is an owner of one half of the capital stock. The
company piys regular semi-annual dividends of four
48 OUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
Casco Iron AVorks, at Martin's Point, two miles
from the city. Tlie buildings are large and commo-
dious, and furnished with machinery of the most ap-
proved plans, for all kinds of heavy, as well as smaller
Corey's Furniture Manufactory, head quarters,
Exchange street. Cabinet furniture, of every de-
scription, is here manuflictured, from the most elabor-
ate and costly, to the ordinary kinds — and upwards of
one hundred hands are constantly employed.
The Portland Kerosene Oil Company, with a
capital of $100,000, commenced operations in August,
1859, and manufacture loOO gallons of oil per day,
from the Albert coal, taken from the Albert mines, in
New Brunswick. Their works are situated in Cape
Elizabeth, near Vaughan's bridge.
City Government.— The city is divided into seven
wards, and the municipal government consists of a
mayor and one alderman from each ward, constituting
the higher branch ; and three delegates from each
ward, constituting the common council.
The Fire Department has under its control one
steam, and nine hand engines for throwing water, with
otlier necessary apparatus, and numbers about four
hundred members, the rank and file of which are ])aid
$20 per annum, each. There are 60 reservoirs, and
ten wells, belonging to the city, for water, in ca<5e of
fires. In 18o8 the aggregate damage 1)y fire in Port-
land was only $2o,SlG, of which $1G,S()1 was covered
REF0R:M school. [Pago 43.]
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 51
The Newspapers are the Portland Advertiser,
published daily, triweekly, and weekly.
The Eastern Argus, daily, tri-weekly, and weekly.
Zion's Advocate, Calvinist Baptist, weekly.
Christian ^Mirror, Trinitarian Congregational, weekly.
Portland Transcript, literary, weekly.
Maine Temperance Journal, weekly.
Pleasure Boat, miscellaneous, weekly.
GRAND TRUNK R.VILWAY STATION, PORTLAND.
The Railroads connected with the city are the Grand
Trunk Railway, connecting the city with INIontreal,
and extending to Quebec, 316 miles on the East, and to
Port Sarnia, on Lake Huron, on the West, 790 miles,
with several important branches. One of the most
wonderful features on this road is the Victoria Bridge at
Montreal, built of iron, costing seven million dollars.
Androscoggin & Kennebec Railroad, connecting
the city with Waterville, 82 miles distant, and
Penobscot & Kennebec Railroad, connecting
the city, via Waterville, A\'ith the important city of
Bangor, 138 miles distant.
52 GUlDi:: BOOK FOU POllTLAND AND VICINITY.
Androscoggin Railroad, running to Farmington,
via Grand Trunk, and Androscoggin & Kennebec, 73
Kennebec & Portland Railroad, running to
Augusta, the cajntal of the State, distant GO miles, with
a branch to Bath, 36 miles.
Somerset & Kenneijec Railroad, running to
Kendall's ISIills, via Kennebec & Portland Rail Road,
81 miles distant.
Portland, Saco & Portsmouth Railroad, con-
necting with Portsmouth, the principal sea port of New
Hampshire, 5 1 miles, and via Eastern Railroad with
Boston, 105 miles distant.
Boston & JMaine Railroad, the "upper route"
to Boston, length 111 miles.
York & Cumberland Railroad, cxtendhig to
Buxton and Saco River, 18 miles.
There is a daily line of excellent steamers, running
to and from Boston, viz : the Montreal, Lewiston, and
A weekly line to New York, at present performed
by the Chesapeake.
A twice-weekly line to Eastport, Calais, and St.
John, in New Brunswick, by steamers Admiral and
A thrice weekly line to Augusta and intermediate
towns on the Kennebec, by the steamer T. F. Secor.
A thrice-weekly line to Bangor and several interme-
diate ports, by the steamer Daniel Webster.
:^j^i^A!3\ ^^j^^ — =^
MARINE HOSPITAL. [Page 43.]
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
OcEAX Steamers. — The traveling public will
find another source of attraction to Portland, inasmuch
as it is the winter terminus of a fine line of ocean
steamers, known as the Montreal Ocean Steamship
Company. Their boats ^nll compare favorably with any
on the Atlantic Ocean for speed, safety, and superior
accommodations. They are built of iron, with water-
tight sectional bulk-heads, with every security against
fire, and every convenience for the safety and comfort
of f)assengers. The experience of three winters' run-
ning to Portland has proved them to be every way
worthy of confidence and support. They run between
Portland and Liverpool in the winter commencing in
November and terminating in April, sailing every al-
ternate Saturday. They carry the United States as
well as the Canadian mails. During the summer
mon'.hs, from May to November, they run between
Quebec and Liverpool, leaving Quebec every Satur-
day morning. To one wishing to make a summer trip
to Europe, this line offers peculiar inducements, on ac-
count of a large portion of the route being inland
navigition, four days of the passage being spent amidst
the beautiful scenery of the St. Lawrence and Strait
56 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
of Bellisle, reducing the actual sea passage to six days,
being the shortest sea route between Europe and North
America. This rou*e has another important advantage
which should be fully appreciated, which is that they
cross a path on the ocean north of that traversed by
steamers of every other line, by which the fearful danger
of collision with another steamer, or with the large
number of sailing vessels, traversing a more southern
path on the ocean, is avoided. The average passages
of these steamers have been less than either the Cunard
or Collins line. Some of their steamers have made
the shortest passages ever made between England and
America, — the " Hungarian," of this line, in the sum-
mer of 18o9, having made four successive passages in
about thirty-seven days, being an average of nine days
and some hours on each passage. It will be seen by
their advertisement that passage tickets can be bought
in Portland in summer as well as winter, at the moder-
ate price of $35 for first class and $30 for third class,
which includes railroad ticket. In winter Portland
harbor presents great facilities for a steam packet sta-
tion : its accessibility by day or night, its broad, open,
deep water entrances, and its freedom from obstruction
from ice, enabling steamers to come direct from sea to
the wharf, passengers having only to step from the
steamer to the cars, to go in any direction. The facil-
ities for despatch in discharging a cargo, and the
promptness with which goods can be entered and passed
at the custom house here, would seem to be a strong
inducement for merchants in other cities to import
their goods by this line.
, "l. ^
KESIDENCE OF J. 13. BUOTX, Esq. [Page 72.]
A SUMMARY HISTORY OF PORTLAND.
BY WILLIAM AVILLIS.
The settlement of the town was commenced in 1632, by
George Cleeves and Richard Tucker, two persons who came
from Plymouth, England. They originally took possession of
laud at the mouth of Spurwink river in Cape Elizabeth, but
being driven from this point, by the legal proprietors of the
soil, they sought a new home on this neck. They made
their location on the bay at the eastern end of the town, be-
low what is now India street, on the south slope of Munjoy's
Hill. Thei-e Cleeves built the first house that was erected
on this territory, near a small brook which flowed from a
natural fountain on the hill, and which continues to flow for
the uses of the present generation, and to the emolument of
the proprietor, who has enclosed the waters in an aqueduct
and makes merchandise of them. Cleeves' corn field ex-
tended to Clay Cove, and his barn stood in what is now the
south-eastern corner of the cemetery. The Indian name of
this spot was Machigonne, from Matche, bad, gon^ clay.
Cleeves finding the spot he had selected most eligible and
agreeable, returned to England in 1637, and procured for
himself and Tucker, from Sir Ferdinando Gorges, the pro-
prietor of that part of Maine which lies between the Ken-
nebec and Piscataqua rivers, and the zealous pi-omoter of
60 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
colonization on our coast, a grant of the peninsula and the
land north of Back Cove to the Falls of the Presumpscot,
and the adjacent islands. He immediately set about im-
proving his large domain. He placed his son-in-law, Michael
Mitton, whom he brought over with him in 1637, upon the
point of land at the western end of the town, now called
Clark's Point, where the gas works stand. Tucker took the
intermediate portion of the Neck ; and they parcelled out
the territory, and that north-west of Back Cove, to settlers
wlio sought the place. Mitton also received a lease for sixty
years of Peak's, then called Pond Island, which lies near
the mouth of the harbor, and a portion of which is now held
by the Bracketts, who are his descendants.
The settlement continued to be called the Neck, and Casco
Neck, until its incorporation as Portland in 1786. In 1658,
^lassachusetts, claiming the territory and jurisdiction of this
])ortion of Gorges' grant, by a forced construction of their
charter, compelled the inhabitants, all unwillingly, to sub-
mit to her government, and then gave the name of Falmouth
to the large tract of land lying between Spurwink River and
Casco Bay, extending back to the line of Windham, and
bounded by Scarborough, Gorliam, Windham, and Cumber-
land, embracing an area of about 40,000 acres, and including
the present towns of Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Westbrook,
and Falmouth. The different localities retained for many
years, and even to the present time, many of them, their an-
cient designations, such as Pui-pooduc and Spurwink in
Cape Elizabeth; Stroudwatcr, Saccarappa, and Capisic in
Westbrook ; Casco, Old Casco, Back Cove, and the Neck ;
which were rendered convenient by the large space occupied
by the original town.
Settlers of a most respectable character soon flocked in-
to the town, attracted by the advantages offerc 1 for fishing,
lumber, and trade. The Bracketts, Thomas and Anthony,
came early from Greenland, N. H , and married the daugh-
ters of MiL-hufl Mitton, A'uiu and M irv, bv wli'jin thry had
I A SUMMARY HISTORY OP PORTLAND. 61
i large families and inherited extensive estates, embracing the
I Deering farm at Back Cove, and a large tract at the upper
end of the Neck. George Munjoy, from Boston, an edu-
I cated man, who married the daughter of Deacon John
Phillips, a wealthy merchant of Boston, also came as early
as 1659, and with his father-in-law purchased of Cleeves the
hill which now wears his name in perpetual remembrance.
Thaddeus Clark, from Ireland, married Elizabeth, another
daughter of Mitton, and grand-daughter of Cleeves, and es-
tablished himself on the point which has ever since borne
his name, whose eldest daughter married Capt. Edward
Tyng, a name distinguished in the annals of Massachusetts.
George Burroughs, the minister, a graduate of Harvard Col-
lege in the class of 1670, came to preach to the people and
had a liberal endowment of land. At Cape Elizabeth, and
Back Cove, there were other settlers in this early day, of
equal respectability, Jordans, Phippens, Whites, Andrews,
Skillings, &c., whose annals fill into another department of
description. The settlement was flourishing and happy, and
contained with its surroundings over forty families, five of
wluim were upon the Neck ; when suddenly the dark cloud
of Indian war over-shadowed them, and in August, 1676, all
the settlements in the town were ravaged, and the inhabitants
who had not previously sought refuge in more secure places,
were killed or carried into captivity, and the place was en-
tirely destroyed. Among the killed were Thomas Brackett,
his brother-in-law, Nath'l Mitton, John Munjoy, and Isaac
Wakely; Anthony Brackett and his family, and the family
of his brother Thomas, were taken captives.
The town remained desolate until the conclusion of peace
in 1678, when the inhabitants began to return and build up
the waste places. In that year, George Bramhall of Ports-
mouth purchased the f.irra at the western end of the town,
including the hill which retains his name, and established
at its foot a large tannery. The original deed of this tract
to Hope Allen from Cleeves, written on Darchment a id dated
G2 GUIDE BOOK FOR TORTLAND AND VICINITY.
1660, is in tlie hands of the -writei- of this article. Antlinny
Brackett, avIio occupied the Deerlng farm, returned in ir/
Thaddeus Clark and the Munjoy family also returned. Mrs.
Jlun joy, whose husband died in 1680, married the same year,
Capt. Kobert Lawrence. These entered into possession of
their respective estates. Capt. Tyng and Sylvanus Davis
also came, and the Rev. ]\Ir. Burroughs, for whom a meet-
ing-house was erected on the point now occupied by the
Portland Company's works. A fine accession was made to
the town in 1687 by the arrival of Dr. Pierre Baudouin, a
Huguenot physician from Eochelle, with his son-in-law
Stephen Boutineau, and their friends Philip Barger and
Philip LeBretton. These respectable persons made pur-
chases and erected houses near the foot of Park Street on
the bank of the river; the other settlers, except the Bram-
halls, Clark, and the Bracketts, settled near the foot of India
Street, which was then the principal seat of business and
dwelling, on the Neck, and where Fort Loj-al, the largest
fortification on this coast was constructed.
Under these fixvorable circumstances, the town was mak-
ing rapid progress; its population was remarkably intelli-
gent and enterprising, and it is impossible to say what might
not have been the result of such ability and energy, the
Protestant French element in the BoAvdoin family, mingling
Avith the Anglo-Saxon, had not the disastrous Indian Avar of
1689 driven the largest part of the population aAvay, and
murdered and captured AA'hat remained. Lieut. Chn*k and
thirteen of his company Avere killed by a party of French
and Indians in ambush on ^Munjoy's Hill. Capt. LaAvrence,
Avho had a stone house on the hill, Avas also killed. Among
the slain in the sevenil engagements A\'ere prominent men,
as George Bramhall, Anthony Brackett, Andrew Alger, Jas.
Freeze, Thomas Browne, and Mr. Palmer. On the IGtli of
;May, 1690, Fort Loyal A\'as taken, after a siege of five days,
by 500 French and Indians, and Capt. Davis, commander of
the Fort, Avith his surviving garrison, Avere carried capti\-o
A SUMMARY HISTORY OF PORTLAND. 63
to Quebec. Among the slain were John Parker, the ances-
tor of the late Chief Justice Parker of Massachusetts, and
his son James.
Thus was this devoted town a second time entirely d3-
stroyed ; and no successful attempts were made to revive it
until after the peace of Utrecht in 1713, when it was hoped
tlie country would be freed from Indian depredations. A
few of the old settlers then straggled back, some of the de-
scendants of others, and disbanded soldiers who had served
on this frontier, remained here and were gradually joined by
others. The chief of these new settlers was Major Samuel
Moody, who had been an active partisan in the war, a sou
of Rev. Joshua Moody, and a graduate of Harvard in 1689,
as was also his son Joshua in the class of 1716. Capt. Larra-
bee, who had also been in the service, moved his family here
in 1717, the same year in which ]\Iajor Moody moved his. The
Ingersolls, the Skillings, the Sawyers, Mountfort, Doughty,
Collier, Mills, the Bracketts, the Barbours, Thomes, and the
Gustins, all came along about the same time, and erected
their humble habitations, some on the neck, others at Back
Cove and Cape Elizabeth. In 1718 there were twenty f;im-
ilies settled on the Neck in a compact and defensible man-
ner, and the same year the General Court by their com-
mittee run out the lines and bounded the town, and there-
upon corporate powers were granted to it, embracing the
whole of ancient Falmouth.
The rebuilding of the town commenced on the tract east
of Clay Cove, principally at the foot of India Street, then
called Broad Street, and below that, on the margin of the
bay, where had stood the houses of Cleeves, Munjoy, Law-
rence, &c. This continued to be the court end of the town
until after the peace of 1783. It was on the corner of Mid-
dle and India Streets that the meeting-house was erect-
ed, where the Eev. Jonathan Pierpont first preached, and
where the first settled minister, Rev. Thomas Smith, com-
t34 GUIDE BOOK FOK PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
menced his ministry of over sixty-eight years in 1727.
This was a humble one-story building, Avithout seats and
without glass, and continued to be the only house of wor-
ship on the Neck, until 1740, when the new wooden build-
ing, two stories high and full of windows, with a porch, but
without a tower or steeple, was opened for worship in July,
1740; and vras the meeting-house of the First Parish until
removed in 1824 to make room for the present stone church
of that society, dedicated in February, 1826; all the while
receiving improvements, such as enlargement, tower, steeple,
bell, paint. Sec.
The remainder of the towm at the time of its incorpora-
tion, 1718, above Clay Cove, was but little improved, a large
part of it was covered by a forest, and along where Federal
and Fore Streets are, were swamps, which even down to
the days of the Revolution were covered with alder and
blueberry bushes, wliere there were not ponds. A brook
llowed from a pond in the northern part of Hampshire Street
into Clay Cove, which was crossed by bridges on Fore and
Middle Streets, under which boats passed. On Fore Street,
which ran on the bank of the river up to Centre Street,
houses gradually were built, the Ingersolls and Proctor
owning most of the land. The passages, being first but
trails or foot paths through the woods, grew gradually into
streets, as vehicles requiring them were introduced, and set-
tlers occupied their grants, and they were named from their
position, the Fore, the Middle, and the Back Streets. Broad
Street was afterwards dignified by the name of King Street,
which in time came to be too aristocratic, and was named
India, while Back, became Queen, and which by a like re-
version of opinion, came to be Congress Street.
The old meeting-house, after 1740, was used for a town-
house and school-house until 1774, when it was removed to
make way for a new court-house, which was erected on the
spot. New settlers were now continually coming in of sub-
fctantial character, who brought little capital, but good trades, I
A SUMMARY HISTORY OF PORTLAND. 65
industrious habits, and energy of character. The Jones's
from Worcester County; Longfellow, Moody's, Pearson, Tit-
comb, Dole, Lowell, Coffin, Ilsleys, Lunts, Noyes's, Moody's
from Essex County ; Bangs, Cobbs, and Freeman from Cape
Cod; Waites from Charlestown; Waldos and Watts, Tyng
and Codman from Boston ; Preble and Bradburys from Yoi'k ;
Pagan and Ross from the old country, both Scotchmen.
The sixt}' j'ears from the settlement in 1715, to the time
of the Eevolution, was a period of steady growth ; and an
extensive and profitable business, for that day, was done
here. Mast ships were built and loaded Avith the growth
of our forests, owned and employed abroad; great quantities
of lumber were manufoctured and shipped, and the West
India trade was successfully conducted. In Sept. 1756,
three large ships and a snow, the then name for a brig, were
loading here. In Oct. 1762, Capt. Eoss had a ship of 700
tons come into the harbor for a cargo of deals, &c., beside
which, were six other ships and snows here at the same
time. On Nov. 1, 1766, six large ships were lying in the
harbor. But the inhabitants owned no large vessels, none
exceeding 150 tons, and these were sloops, schooners, and
brigs. At the commencement of the Revolution, the amount
of tonnage owned in Portland was 2,555, the principal own-
ers being Enoch Ilsley, Capt. Pote, Waite, Mayo, Pagan,
Titcomb, Sandford, Preble, and Oxnard.
The lumbering and fishing interests were absorbing; agri-
culture was so much neglected, that the staple articles of
life were imported into the place, corn from North Carolina,
potatoes, &c., from Massachusetts and other parts of New
The population of the Neck gradually increased; in 1753
it numbered 720 souls, while the whole town, including
Cape Elizabeth, contained 2,712, and at that time there were
21 slaves in town, Parson Smith owning one. In 1759 there
were upon the Neck 136 dwelling-houses, and four ware-
houses, occupied by families, containing in all, 960 inhabi-
06 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
taiits ; these were increased in 1774 to 2,000, and the territory
was occupied as far westward as Centre Street, with a few
scatterinj^ houses above; the upper portion of the Neclc and
the margin of Back Cove were covered with woods, and
portions of the central parts with alder swamps and small
And now came the third severe trial which this doomed
town Avas destined to undergo. On the 18th of Oct , 1775,
the fairest portion of the thriving village was laid in ashes
by a British fleet, under the command of Henry Mowatt,
consisting of five war vessels. The catastrophe may justly,
I think, be attributed to a private pique of the commander,
rather than to -any public emergency. IMowatt had been
seized while walking on Mnnjoy's Hill, with his surgeon and
the Rev. Mr. Wiswall, the Episcopal minister, by Col.
Thompson from Brunswick, with a party of militia, and
they were kept prisoners some hours, until upon the urgent
entreaty of the principal inhabitants, they Avere released on
their parole ; the ofllcers on board the vessel having threat-
ened to fire upon the town unless they Avere immediately
given up. This was in May ; considerable disturbance took
place during the summer betAveen the Avliigs and tories, the
latter of Avliom were numerous and influential, numbering
among them Sheriff Tyng, Capt. Pote, the Oxnards, Pagan,
the Wyers, Coulson, &c. ; se\'cral others, Avithout taking an
active part, sympathized Avitli them. The Avdiigs Averc led
off by the Freemans, Prebles, Waitcs, and others equally
respectable, among Avhom Avas Theophilus Parsons, then a
young laAvyer here, and afterAvards Chief Justice of Mas-
sachusetts. These Avere stimulated and sustained by hot
spirits from the country, AAdio poured into the village, and
could hardly be restrained from doing violence. It is sup-
posed that MoAvatt's private grievances and the exaspera-
tion of the tories' here induced this commander to procure
orders from his superior, Admiral Graves, on the Boston
station, to destroy the town. At any rate, armed Avith uu-
A SUMMARY HISTORY OF PORTLAND. 67
thority, ho returned on the IGth of Oct., and on the 18th
laid the town in ashes. All the compact part of the town
was destroyed, embracing 4 14 buildings, which included the
new court-house, the Episcopal church, and custom-house ;
the whole los3 was estimated by a committee, at about £55,-
000 ; only 100 dwelling-houses were left standing, many of
which were much damaged. The meeting-house of the
First Parish escaped destruction by the vigilance of its
friends, although riddled by cannon balls, and stood a relic
of the past until 1824. The only houses for worship at that
time, on the Neck, Avere the meeting-house of the First
Parish, in which officiated the venerable Smith and his col-
league Samuel Deane, both sons of Harvard, and which
ministi-ies extended from 1727 to 1814, the former over 68
years, the latter 50 years; and the Episcopal church, in
which officiated the Rev. John Wiswall.
Little was done toward restoring the town until the peace
of 1783. The inhabitants, who remained among the ruins,
suffered many privations, and those who had removed to the
country had no means to rebuild their desolate habitations.
But with the cheering advent of peace, a new era commen-
ced in the place. Rapid accessions were made to the pop-
ulation from the old country and the more settled parts of
New England; trade revived; the lumber, and fishing and
ship building business took a lively start ; and for the next
25 years, until the disastrous days of the embargo and non-
intercourse, the town experienced an uninterrupted course of
prosperity. In 1784, 41 dwelling-houses, 10 stores, and 7
shops were built; the next year, 33 houses, and so on from
year to year. The first brick building built in town, being
the house of Gen. Wadsworth, now standing on Congi-ess
Street, was begun in 1784.
In 1786, the Neck was incorporated as a separate town
by the name of Portland, a fancy selection of the inhabi-
tants, the population then being about 2,000. In Boston the
08 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
same year, it was 14,640. In 1832 it received a city charter,
and had a popuhxtion of 13,000. The population increased
in each decade as follows: in 1790, 2,240; 1800, 3,704, living
in 4G0 dwelling-houses; 1810,7,169; 1820, 8,581, embraced
in 1,507 fomilies; 1830, 12,601; 1840, 15,218; 1848, 19,013,
living in 1,540 dwelling-houses; 1850, 20,878; and tho esti-
mate for 1860 is 30,000. By the census of 1850, Portland
was in extent of population, the 25th city in the Union.
The statistics of 1847 show among the inhabitants, 20 clergy-
men, 22 physicians, 7 dentists, and 43 lawyers, now much
increased. By the census of 1850, there were 2,728 dwelling-
houses, 3,977 ftimilies, and for that year ending March 31,
1851, the number of deaths was 345, or 1 to 60 of the popu-
lation; of whom 13 were over 80 j'cars old, and 35 between
60 and 80.
The commercial interest kept pace with tho population.
In 1789 the tonnage of Portland was 5,000 ; in 1793 it was
11,173 tons, including 13 ships, 24 brigs, 23 schooners, and
20 sloops; in 1807 it stood 30,000 tons. In 1829 the tonnage
measured 51,111, embracing 16 ships, 8 barques, and 107
brigs. In 1857 the tonnage of the District was 145,242, be-
ing the 9th in the United States. In that j-ear there were
built in the District, 10,850, in 1854, 25,223 tons. The prin-
cipal imports in 1857 Avere, flour, 281,647 bbls., corn, 360,000
bushels; coal, 36,168 tons; molasses, 3,961,699 gallons; sugar,
6,639,744 pounds, &c. Exports, fish, lumber, various kinds
of manufactures, and agi'icultural productions.
As accessory to commercial enterprise. Banks were among
the agents early introduced. Tho Portland Bank, the first
established in Maine, was incorporated in 1799. There arc
now ten Banks, viz ;— Casco, capital 8600,000 ; Canal, capi-
tal $600,000; Bank of Cumberland, capital $200,000; Man-
ufacturers & Traders', capital $250,000; ^lerchants', capital
$225,000; Mechanics', capital $100,000; Atlantic, capital
$100,000 ; International, cai)ital $250,000 ; Portland Sav-
A SUMMARY HISTORY OF PORTLAND. 69
ings, deposits S 125,000; and Five Cents Savings, recently
established. The last two are only banks of deposit.
The Ocean Insurance Company was incorporated in 1832,
as successor to the Maine Fire and Marine, with a capital of
$100,000, and is doing a successful business, principally
mnrine. The Portland Mutual Fire Insurance Company,
incorporated in 1828, is doing a large and profitable business.
Beside these, many Insurance Companies in other States
have established agencies in this city, whicli are issuing
numerous policies in both fire and marine insurance.
In 1828 the Cumberland and Oxford Canal, a project which
had long been contemplated, was commenced, and finishe I
ill 1830, at an expense of 8^0(3,000. It passes through the
valley of the Presumpscot River to the Sebago Lake, thence
through that Lake, the outlet of Long Pond, and 10 miles
further through Long Pond to Harrison, at the head of that
beautiful sheet of Avater, opening a water communication
of over 40 miles, and aftbrding easy transportation for Avood,
lumber, and manufactured and agricultural products. It is
now held by a few individuals, who purchased the fran-
chise and property in 1857.
Among the causes Avhich have given the greatest impetus
to the prosperity of Portland Avas the introduction of the
railroad system, by which easy communication is now had
Avith the principal portions of the State and Avith other
States. In 1842 the Portland, Saco and Portsmouth Road
Avas opened. But as the effect of this Avas not so much to
bring business to the city as to take it aAvay, measures Avere
sojn adopted to form connections of a more profitable char-
acter Avith the interior. For this purpose a Company w-as
formed and a charter obtained, to construct a Railroad to
Canada. In pursuance of this Avise purpose, and the un-
Avearied energy of the pi-oprietors, the grand line of the At-
Imtic and St. LaAvrence Railroad Avas built, 11 miles of
Aviiich AA-ere opened in 1«48, 37 in 1849, and in 1853 it Avas
finished to its junction Avith the Canada Road from Montreal,
70 GUIDE BOOK FOR TOETLAND AND VICINITY.
a distance from Portland of 149 miles. The Road was leas-
ed to the proprietors of the Grand Trunk lload in 1854, and
has been run by them in conjunction -with their lines in
Canada, very uniformh' since that time. The distance to
Montreal is 292 miles, and to Quebec 316 miles. To\vai-d
this grand enterprise the city of Portland loaned its credit
in Bonds to the amount of $2,000,000.
The Androscoggin and Kennebec, and the Androscoggin
Railroads, and the Kennebec and Portland, and the Penob-
scot and Kennebec Roads soon followed, connecting Port-
land with the waters of the Kennebec, and the Counties of
Fi-anklin, Somerset, Kennebec, and Penobscot, introdu-
cing us to the valleys of the Androscoggin, Kennebec,
and Penobscot Rivers, and opening a valuable and profita-
ble communication with the interior and most productive
portions of our State. All these improvements cost over
$20,000,000, and are now in successful operation.
The York and Cumberland Railroad, connecting Portland
with the Saco River, 18 miles, has been several years in
operation, and is on its way through HoUis, Alfred, and
South Berwick, to form a junction with the Roads in New
Hampshire, which spread over the interior of that State and
beyond its borders. This great improvement, when com-
pleted, will still further increase the trade and advant:iges
of this city.
The amount of city indebtedness in April 1859, was 8688,-
554, from which should be deducted stocks and bonds, pay-
ing interest, $212,000; $131,000 being invested in the Gas
Light Company. In addition to this amount, the city has
outstanding bonds loaned to the Atlantic and St. Lawrence
Railroad Company for $2,000,000, amply secured by a first
mortgage upon the property and a sinking fund, the interest
being regularly paid by the Grand Trunk Company.
The receipts of the city for the year ending April, 1859,
were $417,074 87, including $172,000 on loans; and the Ex-
penditures were $421,727, which iiicUided $80,000 paid un
A SU3DIARY HISTORY OF PORTLAND. 71
city debt, new buildings $94,000, and State and County
taxes §33,790. The amount of taxes levied was $187,064,
being at the rate of $8,60 on $1,000 of the valuation. The
valuation of the city in 1859 was— real estate, $13,241,100;
personal property 8,918,700. Number of polls, 3,369
On the conclusion of the peace of 1783 there were but
two religious societies in Portland, the First Parish and the
Episcopal society; the latter had become almost extinct by
the withdrawal of many of its members as loyalists. In
1787, the 2d Congregational Society was established, and
Per. Elijah Kellogg ordained as its pastor; this was followed
by a Society of Friends or Quakers, Avho ei'ccted a brick
meeting-house in 1795 ; a Methodist Society was organized
the same year; a Baptist Society in 1801 ; a Christian or
Free Will Baptist in 1810; a Universalist in 1821; a Swe-
denborgian in 1821; a Roman Catholic in 1822. A Catholic
Bishop, Dr. Bacon, the first appointed to the Diocese of
Maine, Avas consecrated to the service in 1855. The 3d Con-
gregational Chui-ch Avas established in 1825 ; High Street
Church in 1830; Park Street in 1835; State Street in 1852;
the Union Society in 1856; the St. Lawrence St. in 1857. In
1803 the Episcopalians erected their first brick church, St^
Paul's, on School, now Pearl Street, (they subsequently
adopted the name of St. Stephen's) and in 1855, another So-
ciety, formed two years previously, under the name of St.
Luke, built the beautiful stone church now occupied by
them on Congress Street. There are now in Portland 8
Orthodox Congregational Societies, which includes the Sea-
man's or Bethel Church, 2 Unitarian, 2 Baptist, 3 Methodist,
1 Free Will Baptist, 1 Swedenborgian, 2 Roman Catholic, 1
Quaker, 2 Episcopalian, 1 Advent, all of whom have good,
and many of them elegant houses of worship, except the
Advent Society, who hold their meetings in a hall. The
Spiritualists also hold regular meetings in a hall hired by
them. Tliere is also a ministry to the Poor, under the man-
ageiujiit uf the twj Uaitariau Societies, which has a com-
72 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
modious chapel, a Sunday school, and a constant mhiistra-
tioii on the Sabbath, well attended and very useful.
The literary and benevolent institutions of the place have
also kept pace with the progress of the town and of the age.
Tho whole number of Public Schools is 25, of which 9 are
High and Graratnar schools, 14 Primary, and 2 mixed, upon
the islands, the whole having an average of 3,250 pupils,
girls and boys. These schools are in admirable condition,
and afford thorough instruction in all the branches of a
sound education. Besides these public schools are several
p -ivate ones, in which classical and other studies are pur-
sued, and also an evening school in winter for apprentices
and others, employed by day. The school houses arc gen-
erally furnishe 1 with the needful apparatus for a good edu-
cation, and constructed upon the most approved plan. The
whole expense of the public schools to the city for the year
ending in April, 1859, was $27,758. An Academy on a good
foundation was early established, but the constantly im-
proving condition of the public schools, and their excellent
system of instruction, gradually drew away the pupils, and
teaching in it has for several years been suspended. It will
l)r.)bably, ere long, be revived in an improved form.
Many of the private buildings, both stores and dwellings,
are of a high order for taste and beauty, and no city of its
size contains so many handsome and convenient private res-
idences, surrounded by fine gardens tastefully ornamented,
as Portland. It will not be making an invidious distinction
to select one, which for beauty of situation and its surround-
ings, is preeminent; we refer to Mr. Brown's, upon the west-
ern promenade. It stands in the midst of ten acres of high-
ly cultivated and improved land, and overlooks a wide ex-
tent of beautiful scenery, and is itself an attractive object
as you approach the city. The first portion of this century
was marked by the erection of largi> and elegant hoti-:es.
The merchants had been successful, and their prosperity
RESIDENCE OF R. S. MORSE, Esq.
A SUMMARY IIIST3RY OF TORTLAND. 75
was first displayed in the constniction and omiamcnt of tlieir
places of abode. It was at this period, the first seven years
of the century, that the M'Lellan houses were erected on
High Street by the brothers Hugh and Stephen, the Matthew
Cobb house on the corner of High and Free, the Storer lioi;s3
corner of High and Danforth, now occupied by Mr. IMussey,
■the Ingraham house on State Street, owned and occupied
by Mr. Cluirchill, the houses of Isaac Ilsley, Messrs. Weeks
and Tucker, and of Robert Boyd, now owned by Mr. Shaw.
All these were expensive, and the best houses in the State ;
and it is a sad reflection, and ought to be a salutaiy one to
the American mind, that but one or two of these handsome
establishments remain in the fiimiUes of the persons who
built them. Our mode of distributing estates, added to the
disasters of embargo, non-intercourse, and war, which swept
over our fair city, carried down the principal merchants and
the commercial interests of the place ; and for ten or twelve
years its growth was suspended ; its progress after that was
slow, until the Railway improvements opened a new era upon
its fortunes and prospects. Recent new buildings now not
only rival the past, but far excel them in architectural style
and ornament. It is only necessaiy to point to those
of Jlr. Hersey, the Springs, the Browns, the Libbys .on the
corner of High Street, and above all the palatial building,
now in process of construction, by ]\Ir. Morse, ou'the corner
of Park ai^d Danforth Streets, of Connecticut free stone,
and at an expense of something like $100,000. The owner
Avent from Portland a few years ago to seek his fortune, and
' by a rapid and successful career in New Orleans, is enabled
ti> deposit a portion of his earnings in one of the most beau-
til'iil and costly private residences in the State.
AVe have thus taken a I'apid survey over this interesting
field, covering a period of more than two centuries and a
quarter; and have held up to view this quiet, charming
city, through its varied and diversified history to its present
76 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
high and eligible position. For beauty of situation, f(jr the
interesting character of its surroundings, for the variety ant!
convenience of its drives,\vith the wide ocean in full view ever
spreading out its interminable and constantly moving waters,
the spacious bay, and safe and accessible harbor, crossed au' I
fretted continually by steamers and the prows of the merchant
marine, and the magnificent landscape of the interior, stretch-
ing far away over hill and valley, over village and forest, till
the eye rests upon the everlasting mountains, lifting;
their lofty summits in the distance, from the seashore to the
north, — the healthful breezes which daily breathe over this
gem of a city set in the margin of the sea, both from the
mountains and the ocean, altogether render Portland a most
desirable place for the recreation of visitors, and the happi-
ness of its permanent residents, all of whom, wherever over
the wide world they roam, look back to it with the fond-
est affection, as the Mecca of their devotions and their
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY. 77
THE G}-RI;:..\.i: EA-STERIST.
The Great Eastern was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunei,
Esq., F. E. S., who died of paralysis in September, 1859, just after
her successful trial trip. The ship and paddle engines were built
by Messrs. Scott Russell & Co., at Millwall, Poplar ; and the screw
engines by Messrs. James Watt & Co., Soho Works, Birmingham.
Her principal dimensions, capacity, and power are as follows : —
Length (rather more than the 8th
of a mile) 680 feet.
Breadth 83 do.
Depth from deck to keel 60 do.
Length of principal saU'OMs 400 do.
Number of decks 4
Tonnage 22,500 tons.
'l"o carry coals and car§o 18,000 do.
Draft of water (laden) 30 feet.
ditto (light) 20 do.
Number of cylinders of paddle
Diameter of cylinders 74 inches.
Length of stroke I4ft.6in.
Nominal power of paddle en-
gines 1000 hor«e3.
ditto screw engines.. 1600 do.
To carry 800 1st class )
ditto 2000 2d class [ Total 4000 pas-
ditto 1200 3d class ) sengers.
ditto troops without other pas-
Weight of iron used in constiuc-
tion about 7000 tons.
One peculiarity of this ship is that her deck is flush, except for
cabin entrances and similar purposes, so that her great length af-
fords the passengers a promenade of more than a quarter of a mile
round the deck.
With regard to the motive power the wind is made available, and
for this purpose the vessel is provided with six masts. The center
masts are the principal, these are crossed by yards, as in a line of
battle ship, the other masts are smaller in size. She spreads 6500
square yards of canvass.
It is, however, in respect to its steam power that this vessel is
most distinguished, combining as it does both the paddle wheel and
the screw. The engines are incomparably larger than any heretr-
fore made for marine purposes ; and their actual power will be far
greater than their nominal power already stated. So great is this
78 GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND VICINITY.
difference that when •working at their greatest power, it will not U<
less than eleven thousand five hundred horses. They are placed ii,
different parts of the ship, and are entirely independent of each
other. The vessel has ten boilers, and five funnels ; and each boiler
can be cut off from its neighbor, and used or not as desired. The
boilers are placed longitudinally along the center of the ship ; and
it will give some idea of their generative power, when it is stated
that every boiler has ten furnaces, thus giving to the whole not less
than one hundred furnaces. The fuel used is anthracite coal, — at
the rate of one hundred and eighty tons in twenty-four hours.
She carries eighteen boats, and two screw steamers one hundred
feet long and ono hundred and twenty tons burden, swung upon
her sides, abaft the wheel boxes.
The paddle engines are direct acting, with oscillating cylinders,
and are constructed on the disconnecting principle, in order tliat
they may be used jointly or separately, so that both or either of the
l)addle wheels can be put in independent motion. The diameter of
the paddle wheels is sixty feet.
The screw propeller is twenty-four feet in diameter; it is placed
at the stern of the vessel, and worked in the usual manner. I
The best terms to describe the build is by stating that there is
an inner and outer skin. The space between the outer and inner
skin or ship is two feet ten inches. These skins are united to eadi
other by longitudinal webs or girders, formed of plate and anglo
iron. Thus the outer and inner ships are joined together by meanf;
of a great number of water-tight webs or cells, of extraordinary
strength, giving the vessel a rigidity such as has never been com-
municated to a ship before. The web plates are of half inch iron,
and the outer and inner skins are of three quarter inch iron. Tho
compartments between the outer and inner skins will hold throo
thousand tons of water ballast, should it be required. The floor of
the ship is perfectly flat, the koel being turned inwards, and riv-
eted to the inner ship's keel.
The ship has a number of large ports on the lower deck to re-
ceive railway wagons, carriages and bulky goods. She has also
sixty ports on each side, two feet six inches square, for ventilation; ,
and an abundance of dead lights. The lower ports are ten feet above ;
the water when the ship is loaded.
The cabins are on the decks above the boilers, and form large and
spacious saloons. The captain and officers' berths are placed on the
upper deck. TVbole number of crew, about four hundred.
GUIDE BOOK FOR PORTLAND AND^VICINITY.
brown's sugar house, PORTLAND. [pAGE 47.]
The attention of the reader is directed to the follow-
ing advertisements. They comprise the principal busi-
ness houses of the city, and are all establishments of
character and reputation. The tourist will find in the
various hotels and pleasure resorts advertised, good
tables and comfortable homes ; while the cards of the
dijSerent railroad and steamboat companies will give all
necessary information respecting the great routes to
and from the city.
Those who wish to obtain all tho comforts of a First Class Hotel,
with the quiet of a private home, will find these combined at the
house of Mrs. A. H. Blanchard, No. 47 Danforth Street, corner of
_ Situated in the most delightful part of the city, and in the imme-
) diate vicinity of our most elegant and expensive private residences ;
surrounded by stately trees and a fine garden ; having neat, airy,
and commodious rooms ; with a good table; it presents peculiar at-
tractions for those who wish to remain a day, or who may extend
their visits to weeks.
NO. 68 EXCHANGE ST., PORTLAND,
IS THE LARGEST IN THE STATE,
And of course is best arranged and fitted to execute every description of
binding from the ricTiest and most elaborately finished, to the more plain
istylcs for common use.
Qlustratcd Works, such as Shakspeare, Byron, Bibles, History of
the United States, &c., &c. — any book that needs binding-
can be bound at this establishment in whatever style the
owner may desire.
Having superior facilities, and experienced workmen— I am enabled
always to give the latest fa&hions in binding.
At the Mechanics' Fair holden at Portland, Sept. 1854, the first premium
was awarded to F. "W. BAILEY, for best specimens of Book-bindixg. Again
the Maine State Fair, holden at Portland, October, 1856, awarded the first
R W. BAILEY,
NO. 68 EXCHANGE STREET, PORTLAND, ME.
^2 GUIDE ADVERTISEMENTS.
AND rKOPRIETOR OF THE
COMMERCIAL NEWS ROOM,
79 MIDDLE AND 82 EXCHANGE STREETS,
The subscriber has the
HOST EXTENSIVE FEINTING ISTABIISHMENT IN MAINE.
It is thorouglily furnished with materials for every description
are added as they appear, from the best foundries in
Oiders for any kind of printing executed promptly and fnith'
fuUv. B. THURSTON.
On and after Monday, April 11th, 1859, Trains will run as follows :
yjuve Saco lliver for Portland at 6.25 and 9.30 A. M., and 3.35 P. M.
Leave Portland fur Saco River at 8.00 A. M., and 2.00 and 6.20 P. M.
The 2.00 P. M. train out, and the 9.30 A. M. train in, wU be Freight Trains,
til Passenger Cars attached.
Stages connected at Saccarappa daily for South "Windham, Windhani
jnter and Great Falls.
At Gorham, for West Gorham, Standisli, Steep Falls, Baldwin, Hirara,
niington, Brownfield, Fryeburg, Conway, Denmark, Lovell, Bridgton,
At Bnxton Center, for West Buxton, Bonny-Eagle, South Limington,
niington, &c., &c.
At Saco River, tri-weekly, for IloUis, Limerick, Ossipee, Newfield, Par-
nsfield, EflBngham, Freedom, Madison, Eaton, Limington, Cornish, Por-
J. P. RICH, Superintendent.
PORTLAND, SADO & PORTSMOUTH
priiig Arrangements. Commencing April 4, 1859.
'assenger trains will leave the Station, Canal Street, daily (Sundays ex-
■;)tL'd) as follows :
■ave Portland for Boston at 8.45 A. M., and 3.00 P. M.
Leave Boston tor Portland at 7.30 A. M., and 3.00 P. M.
Leave Portsmouth for Portland at 10.00 A. M., and 5.30 P. M.
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
i Steamboat Train leaves Portland for Boston at 5 o'clock P. M., (or
arrival of the Boat from Bangor).
jcaves Boston same days at 5 o'clock P. M.
?fg"-These trains will take and leave passengers at way stations.
'leight trains leave Portland and Boston daily.
JOHN RUSSELL, Jr.., Superintendent.
84 GUIDE ADVERTISEMENTS.
<JRANB TRUNK RAILWAY.
On and after Monday, June 20, 1859, Trains M'ill run daily, (Sundaj
excepted), as follows:
Leave Portland for Island Pond, Montreal, and Quebec, at 7.15 A. M.
Leave Portland for It^land Pond, at 3.15 P. M.
Leave Portland for South Paris, at 5.05 P. M.
Leave Isliitid Pond for Portland, at 7.30 A. M., and 1.30 P. M.
Leave South Paris for Portland, at G.IO A. M*i
Trains leave Montreal for Toronto and all points West, at 7.00 A. M., and
7.30 P. M,
Tlie Company are not responsible for baggage to any amount exceeding,'
$50 in value, and that personal, unless notice is given and paid for at tho
rate of oue passenger lor every $500 additional value.
GEORGE KEITH, General Jlanager.
S. T. CORSER, Superintendent.
ANDROSCOGGIN AND KENNEBEC
PENOBSCOT AND KENNEBEC
The only tlirousit route between Bangor an<I Port*
land, Broad Cinuge, nuti no change of Cars*
Cars leave depot of Grand Trunk Railroad, in Portland, daily, (Sundays
excepted), for Bangor, Etna. Newport, Pittstield. Buruham, Clinton, Ken-
dall's Mills, ■Waterville. AVest Waterville, Nortli Belgrade, Belgrade, Read-
tield, AVinthrop, Mtannouth, Leeds, Green, Lewiston, and Auburn, on
arrival of mid-day train from Boston.
At Waterville, Stages connect daily for Norriilgewock.
At KendiiHs Mills, connects daily with Trains for Skowhcgan.
At Pittsfteld, Stages connect daily for St, Aliians and llartland,
At Newport, Stages run daily to and from Moosehead Lake.
Tickets sold at depot of Grand Tii-.'.ik Uailroad in rortland.
EDWIN NUYES, SuperintendLUt.
GUIDE ADVERTISEMENTS. ' 85
Tho splendid and fast Steamer
Capt. SiT)NEy Crowell, will run regularly between New York and Port-
ftnd, as follows :
Leave Brown's Wharf, Portland, every SATURDAY, at 5 o'clock P. M.,
vnd returning leave New York, Pier 12 N. R., every TUESDAY, at 4 P. M.
This vessel has just been fitted up with fine accommodations for passen-
:;ers, ftiaking this tho most speedy, safe, and comfortable route for travelers
between New York and Maine.
Passage $5 00, including fare and State Rooms.
J^Jr-Gooda forwarded by this line to and from Montreal, Quebec, Bangor,
Bath. Augusta, Eastport, and St. John. Also connects A\'ith Steamers for
Baltimore. Goods taken through with dispatch, at the cheapest rates.
Shippers are requested to send their freight to the Boat before 4.30 P. M.,
on the day that she leaves Portland.
For freight or passage apply to
EMERY & FOX, Brown's Wharf, Portland.
H. B. CROMWELL, & CO., Pier 12 N. R., New York.^
EOa TH E KE iyyEEEG.
Tho fine Steamer.
Capt. Charles H. Beck, will leave Atlantic wharf for Augusta , every
Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday morning, at 7 o'clock, touching at B ath,
Richmond, Ganliner, and Ilallowell.
Returning from the above places every Mondaj^, Wednesday, and
Fare to Gardiner, Ilallowell, and Augusta , $1.00
" " Richmond '75
" " Bath 50
FREIGHT taken at low rates.
.e@=All Freight must be accompanied by Bills of Lading in duplicate.
.©SrShippers will please send their Freight to the boat on the afternoons
of Monday, Wednesday , and Friday.
4®"A11 persons are forbid trusting any one on account of Steamer T, F.
Secor, unless by order of tho Captain or Agent.
This route will be found advantageous to the business community as a
ppeedy and cheap conveyance of FREIGHT, also to the TRAVELING
PUBLIC as one of accommodation, pleasure, and economy.
CYRUS STURDIVANT, Agent,
73 Commercial Street, Portland.
Thla line runs from LIVERPOOL, in connection with the GRAltB'w;
TRUNK HAIL WAY OF CANADA, and is composed of the foUomng fi^B
class, powerful screw steamers, viz : — ^ jBj^j
HUNGARIAN, NORTH BRITON,
INDIAN, NORTH AMERICAN,
NOVA SCOTIAN, BOHEMLiN, (new),
ANGLO SAXON, CANADIAN, (new).
Carrying tho Canadian and United States Maila*
From May to November, they will run to and from LiveltoolL
weekly, leaving; Quebec for Liverpool every Saturday, and Liverpool UMi
Quebec every Wednesday.
From November to May they will run between Portland and Liverpoo;! I
every fortnight, leaving Portland for Liverpool alternate Saturdays, aouj
Liverpool for Portland alternate Wednesdays.
The Summer route via Quebec seldom exceeds ten days, four of whic
are spent amidst the fine scenery of the St. Lawrence ; tho other six occi
pied at sea, being the shortest actual sea voyage across tho Atlantic Ocean •
»Tho winter route to Portland is shorter than to any other Ocean Steai i
Packet terminus, in the United States.
Particular attention is paid to the quick delivery of goods shipped b-
this line to tho Railroads and Steamers in connection. Tho rails runnin
to the wharf, alongside of the Steamer, and the facilities being unsurpasse
shippers can rely upon prompt attention to the dispatch of goods froi .
Portland or Quebec, to all parts of Canada, Lower British Provinces, an '
the United States.
RA.TES OF P^SS^GhJE3.
From Portland to Liverpool, via Quebec, including RaiJ road tick
Cabin $71 to $85, according to accommodations; third class $30.
From Portland to Liverpool, in winter, Cabin $66 to^ $80, according ,
accommodations. Children in proportion ; Third Class, $30.
The foregoing fares include provision, but not wines. Twenty cul
feet of baggage allowed to each first class passenger. All baggage at t
risk of the owner.
A qualified Surgeon accompanies each Steamer.
For further particulars apply to
EDMONSTON'E, ALLAN & CO., Montreal,
tlicir offic:' at the Grand Trunk Railway Station, Portland, Me., or t
JAMES L. FARMER, No. lo Exeliange Street, Portland.
GUIDE ADVERTISEMENTS. 87
><3RTLAND & BOSTON LIN3B.
The splendid new sea-going Steamers
FOREST CITY, LEWISTON, and MONTR EAX,
Will until further notice, run as follows :
I,eavo Atlantic "Wharf, Portland, every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,
Thursday and Friday, at 7 o'clock, P. M. and Central Wharf, Boston, every
•londay, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, at 7 o'clock, P. M.
Fare, in Cabin, $1,25.
" onDeck, 1,00.
N. B. Each boat is furnished with a large number of state-rooms, for
he accommodation of ladies and families; and travelers are reminded that
.y taking this line, much saving of time and expense will be made, and
hat the inconvenience of arriving in Boston at late hours of the night
vill be avoided.
The boats arrive in season for passengers to take the earliest trains out
of tlie city.
The company are not responsible for baggage to an amount exceeding
)0 in value, and that personal, unless notice is given and paid for at the
rate of one passenger for every $500 additional value.
jge^Fi-eight taken as usual.
L. BILLINGS, Agent.
NO. 4:9 MIDDLE STREET,
OPPOSITE THE SECOND PARISH CHURCH,
This House is centrally situated in an
AIRY AND PLEASANT LOCATION.
The accommodations are excellent the table will be supplied wth the best
the market affords, and every attention will be paid to make the tarry of
travellers pleasant. The House being in the immediate vicinity of busi-
ness places, the attention of business men is invited.
Coaches will be at the Depots and Steamboats, to convey passengers to
GEO. S. HAY, Proprietor.
This Hotel is most eligibly and pleasantly situated in the
VERY HEART AXD CEXTER OF THE CITY,
within ten minute's walk of the various Eailroad Stations and the wha
of the " Great Eastern/'
TO THE MAN OP BUSINESS,
it affords superior advantages, and the
will find its conveniences on no limited f<onl.>.
Every luxury the market affords will h,^ ]irovided. and the proprietor
are determined te spare no exertions to make their House in every rospec
equal tj the wants vf its patrons.
Souili Side Peak's Island, .Portland Harbor, Maine
HEXRY M. BRACKETT, Proprietor. .
Open for genteel boarders — three miles from Portland, within thirty rods
of the Ocean, presenting a full view of it, with vessels passing and repass-
ing. Everj' facilitj' offered for Fishing, Sea-Bathisg, axd VVater-Excur-
sii ixs. Experienced boatmen in attendance. Two Steamers run from Port-
I land daily,
WILLIAM A. PEARCE,
No. 124 Excliarjge Street, Portland, Me.
Warm, Cold, and Shower Baths, "Wash Bowls, Brass, and Silver Plated
JtiJr- Every description of Water FiXTriiE for Dwelling Houses, Hotels,
and Public Buildings, Ships, etc., arranged and set up in the best manner,
and all orders in town or country faithfully executed. All kinds of job-
bing promptly attended to.
The fiivorito and staunch-built
Lrrivps her dock, at Burnham's Wharf, foot of Deer Street, Daily, for
I;AK"S island, at 9 and 10 i^ A. M. and 2 P. M.
lloturning, leaves Peak's Island at 9% and llj^ A. M., and b% P. M.
Fare, down and back, 25 cents.
The New and Staunch
Cnpt. W. F. OxxARD, runs regularly during the Summer months, be-
tween Portland and Peak's Island three times a day.
Fsire tlo^vn and back 25 cents.
This Steamer has carried with ease and safety eight hundred passengers ;
Large and Small Pic-Nics, and private parties' taken to any of the Islands
at reasonable rates, by applying to the Capt. on board.
PEAK'S ISLAl lIOUSEl
CASCO BAY, PORTLAND, MAINE.
THIS HOUSE is pleasantly located or the South side of PEAK'l
ISLAND, having a fine view of the Ocean, and every fecility for
FISHING AND BATHING. i
Those seeking the sea-sido for health or pleasure, will find this a very da
sirable situation. \
Boats. Fishing Tackle, and competent Boatmen in attendance.
The new and splendid steamer GIPSEY plies hetween this Island and th^
SETH n. BRACKETT, Proprietor.
city, three times a day.
Opposite the Post Office, - - - - Portland, Maine.
THE subscriber having taken the commodioua premises in LTMI
STREET, opposite the Post Office, and fitted the same as a Hotel, oflferd
tlie public good accommodations on reasonable terms.
Everything has been put in excellent order, and the Fnrnp^nro is cliieflj
now. The tables will be supplied with the best the market affords.
The attention of business men and others is respectfully invited to thfl
above House, it being one of the most centrally situated in the city, and "
the immediate vicinity of all places of business, &c.
Coaches will bo at the several Depots on the arrival of the trains; also
Uic Steamboats,— to convoy passengers to the House.
A sliare of patronage is respectfully solicited.
OPPOSITE OLD CUSTOM HOUSE,
Thig house is conveniently located for the
BUSINESS MAN AND OTHERS,
and the subscriber having had a
LONG EXPERIENCE IN THE BUSINESS,
he hopes by strict attention to the wants of Ms guests, and moderate fareSj.
to receive, as he has heretofore, a liberal share of the public patronage.
N. J. DAVIS.
CORNEa FORE AND LIME STREETS,
This house is centrally situated, in the Siisiness part of the
City, and near the several Railroad Depots and Steamboat Landings.
The house has recently been
and refitted with new furniture, beds, bedding, &c. The tables will h&
furnished with the best the market affords, and every|attention will be paid
to make the stay of guests agreeable.
Tlic Proprietor of this well known Hotel hec;3 leave to inform his patron?
and the i)ublic generally, that he hns during the last Spring greatly
increased its accommodations and comforts, bj- extensive additions of New
Ajtartmeuts and Saloons, a thorough renovation and refitting of those pre-
viously existing and a general internal and external embellishment which
at once stamp it as a siiperior first class Hotel.
Its central, elevated and accessible location, at the confluence of Congress,
Ehn, Federal and Middle Streets, commends it to those in search of health-
ful recreation, those who visit the City on business, and those en route for
the AVhite Mcmntains. Montreal or other places in the East and Canadas.
Tlio table will contain all that the Market afTonls, and every department
of the house will be conducted in a manner to meet the approval of all.
Junction of Free and Middle Streets, Portland.
H. H. HA^Y & CO.,
fine (lieuiicals, Perfiiiuei'v, Surg-ical ami lental Iiistriiiiients,
STANDARD FAxHILY MEDICINES,
Drugs. Paints, Bye-StitfTs, Kerosene Oils, Eu^ning" Tluid, &c
94 GUIDE ADVERTISEMENTS.
Prout's Beach, ------ Scarboro', Me,
This II0US6 is now open for Boarders and transievt visitors. It is situa-
ted within eight and a half miles of the city of I'ortland, and two and t
hiilf miles from the railway station, where will be found a carriage to con
vey passengers to and from the house. It is located ui)on one of the most
beautiful beaches in New England, presenting a smouth, clean surface of
white sand three miles in lengtli. by twenty rods in breadth, thus giving
facilities for Salt water bathing, riding, fishing, SfC , unsurpassed.
The house being situated directly upon the ocean, the view there from i;
unrivaled, — steamers and sailing vessels to and from Portland passing di
rectly in sight. In tlie rear of the house is a lar^rc and beautiful grove, in
which are erected Swings, Bowling Alleys, ^c„ fur the use of ilie parr.aisof
tlie house. This place is considered by all who liave visited it, to bi-
not only one of the7)'ea*antes«, but one of the viost healthy to be found
upon the whole coast. Persons wishiTig can take the cars at the I'ort-
lanil. Saco and rortsniouth Depot, and get out at the station Oak Uill, whero
Avill be found conveyances directly to the house.
P. S. All communications to bo addressed to
E. GUNNISON, Oak Hill, Me.
SHIP'S €03PPEE PUMPS,
Dealer i:i Furnaces, Parlor, Cookiiig^, Ship and Air-
Tight Stoves, Cabooses, Ranges, &c.
HOUSE AND SHIP FURNISHING STORE,
NO. V7^ PORE STREET, - - - - PORTLAND.
^4W^E:i«^ m&.w^m ^MmwB^.
The MASTIC ROOFING is adapted to RoofH of cre^yj
description, either steep or Hat.
The undersigned is now ready to do Roofing at short notice, and wit
Office anil Factory at the foot of Brnttle Street.
Ordi'rs can also be received, and sani-.Ies seen, at T. .S. FILES' SIIOI
STuni'J, Nu. VI Market .^fqiiare.
D. M. WALKER
POOH & JOSE,
85 & 87 Middle Street,
WHOLESALE AND RETAIL DEALERS IN
[TRESSES m UPllCLSTERl' GOeS, fUETAIS MATEEIA'IS.
EDW. H. BURGIM,
Importer, TTliolesale and Retail Dealer in
OF >ax.x. )«vX.\^)os,
Chambers 1 & 2 Ereo Street Block,
Orer II. J. LIBEEY & Co's.
JAMES E. FERNALO,
87 Middle Street, - - - Portland, Me
M. J. NICHOLS,
Nos. 1 & 2 U. S. Hotel Building,
BONNETS, RIBBONS, MILLINERY.
GLOVES, MITTS, HOSIERY, &c.
Mouviiing arlicles couatautly on liiind, uud inudu to order at sliorfc
wlsillw awl Jtiiiwiifiv
61 EXCHANGE STREET, PORTLAND.
jfcjwsitary of Bible and Tract Societies; Sabbath School Libra-
ries, Question Books, &c.; and the Publications of R. Carter &
Bros.; Theological, Miscellaneous, and School Books,
always on hand.
)ard by the day or week for permanent boarders, or first class
transient travelers, with all the comforts and conveniencies of a
I^IKST CXi^SS HOTEL,
can be obtained by applying to
Mrs. A. H. BL^NCHARD,
No. 47 Dauforth, corner of Park Street.
CAHOON'S PATENT BROADCAST SEED SOWEK,
^THEAT, OATS, HEMP, BARLEY, RYE, BUCKWHEAT, GRASS-SEED,
'atentod Sept. 1st, 1857. Re-issued May 11th, 1S5S. Patented in Exiropc
This Machine has taken the first premiums at all the principal Agricul-
ural Fairs in the Country.
The cheapest and best agricultural implement in the world.
Horse power machine sows from 10 to 15 acres per hour. Hand machine
sows from 4 to 8 acres per hour.
CHARLES W. CAHOOX, Correspondina; Agent.
D. II. FURBISH, Proprietor.
Office, York Street, Opposite Portland Sugar House, Portland, Me.
J. B. BEOWN & SONS,
IMlanaging -A-gents of
//£y1l^/ BOOIED SYRUPS,
Manufactory Commercial, Maple and York Stree .!
and Brown's Wharf.
Offices^— Corner of York and Dauforth Streets.
J. B. Brown, Philip Henry Brown, James Olcott Brc
SANBOEN & CAETEE,
55 EXCHANGE STREET,
Dealers in books iu every department of literature, flisto -
Biography, Fiction, Poetry, Medicine, Theolo ^
Free Masonry, and the Higher Educational and Cc .)
mon School Books, and Juveniles.
Foreign and Domestic Stationery, American, Eng
and French Writing Taper and Envelopes, and all articles of
tionery for Counting Koom, Ollice, and Home use, in gx'eat vari
Initial Letter Paper and Envelopes sold the sam '
MANUFACTUEED UNDER THE
YOUNG AND ATWOGD PATENTS.
THE MOST AGREEABLE,
THE MOST E€0N<3MI€AL
MANUFACTURED BY THE
PORTLAND KEROSENE OIL COMP'l
Office 194 Fore Street,
STorks at Cape Elizabeth.
loo GUIDE ADVERTISEMENTS.
SAMUEL ADLAM, JR.,
Dealer in every description of
PARLOR, CHAMBER AND COMMON
China. Crockery, and Glass Ware ; Table Cntlery
Britannia and Plated Ware,
And a General assortment of House FuraishinK Goods
Tlioso commencino; Housekeeping can obtain at thisestahlishracnt a com
jik'te outfit of Kich, MtMlium, or Low Priced Goods, suited to their di1f.'r(
wants, without the trouble and loss of time usually attending a select i
of this kind; and the subscriber is confident that, coiu))inint;asbe does th
various depai'tments of the House Furnishing Business, he can ofler good
at prices that cannot fail to prove satisfactory on examination.
Chambers 133 and 140 Middle St., Portland.
4£5^Strangers visiting the city are invited to call and cxamiuo our stocfe
III FiSlllI Film EMPiSIii.
From which Furniture is sent to all parts of the State, and to a large *x
tent to other States, is the long established and well known
NOS. 52, 51, AND 56 EXCHANGE ST.,
Wliere may bo found an extensive assortment of Elegant and Plain
Fiu-uiture, of the most desirable styles, comprising Kich and Medium
I'riced Drawing Ivoom, Parlor, and Chamber Furniture, of every descrip-
tion. Feather Beds and Mattresses of all kinds, Common Furj>iture, ChairH,-
Looking Glasses, &c. He would particularly invito the attention of pur-:
chasers to the above, a-s being
THE LARGEST AXD BEST STOCK
to be found in New Kngl-md. His facilities for manufacturing are unsur-'
passed by any other estublibhment, and the (iuulity of his Goods excelled
GUIDE ADVERTISEMENTS. 101
DR. A. K. NEWTON,
Office 173 Middle Street, - - - - Portland, Me.
Performs all Sukgical and Mechanical Dental Operations, in the most
-improved, scientific, and skillful manner possible. Teeth extracted by the
laid ol Magnetism and Galvanism without pain, in most cases, and
alli'viates all; successfully used only by him in this city.
Dr. N. having practiced in this city for several years, with success, would
be pleased to give the best of references to those that are unacquamted, by
calling at his office. Terms reasonable, and satisfactory also.
E. K. INGRAHAM & CO.,
JOBBERS AND KETAILER3 IX
iiiiif lii fiifif liiisitf
laces, Inikoiderie^, (Jlovcs, Hosiery, Watcli Spring Skirls,
Strangers visiting the city are invited to give us a call.
No. 1G6 Middle Street ----.-- Portland.
E. K. INGRAHAM, W. H. INGRAHAM.
STEELE & HA. YES,
Importers, Wholesale and Retail Dealers in
CROCKERY AND GLASS WARE,
NO. 110 MIDDLE STREET,
Also, Silver Plated Castors, Forks, Spoons, and Tea Sets, Ivory
Cutlery, Tea Trays, &c.
J. L. HOWARD & CO.,
No. 35 Exchange Street, ------ Portland.
COOKING STOVES, for either Wood or Coal, and every article usually
found in a Stove store.
.TOULINO done to order.
Strangers viyiting the city ar>^ invited to call.
HARMONIUMS AND MELODEONS
J. 1). CHENEY,
135 1-2 MIDDLE STREET,
Would respectfully call the attention of Jlusic Committees to li
iS'I'^W lIARMONlUM, which is pronounced by Orfrani^ts ai:
Musical men to be the best thing of the age. It 'lias two banks «
keys, of 5 octaves each, 4 full sets of reeds, one octave in peda
anil ten stops or registers, and including all the varieties of th
31.000 pipe Organ ; it also has two c()U])lers, one that connec
botli key boanls, the other connects pedals and keys; the regul:
organ swell is attached to this instrument, by which the cd'ects (
crescendo and diminuendo can be rendered at the performer's wil
The case is made of the best solid black walnut, and finished wit
Oil. Trice $1350.
Also Melodcons in every variety, v.liich he will warrant equal t
any made in the cuuutry, and at price- varyinL; fr m $50 to $'M(
J. p. CHAMBERLAIN, Proprietor.
fhis pleaR<aiit and popular Watering Place is open during the traveling
'.TOU, except on the Sabbath, to visitors.
'he well known location of this House, on the Southern verge of CAt»E
[ZABETII, with excellent fishing, and a fulLview of the Ocean, as far as
eye can reach, together with a hard sand beach of a mile in length,
rides, renders it as lovely a resort for Pleasure Parties, Invalids, or
manent boarders, as can be found in the whole counti'y.
'irateful for past favors, the subscriber pledges himself that nothing shall
wanting on his part to merit a continuance of the same.
JOSEPH. P. CIIAMBEIILAIN.
rEW or THURSTON'S PRH TING OFFICE, FOX BLOCK.
104 GUIDE ADVERTISEMENTS.
lEPIT I! AMIM iAIIfACmi
DAVIS, BAXTER & CO.,
3 FREE STREET BtOCK,
FOR THE SALE OF
Vulcanized, Gum, and Web SUSPENDERS.
SILK and LEATHER BELTS.
BUTTONS of every description.
Italian and American SEWING SILKS AND TT\7ST.
COTTON THREADS of various 2;rade8.
MACHINE SILKS and threads. ""
INDIA RUBBER GOODS.
Ivory, Horn, and Rubber COMBS, of every variety.
Hair, Clotii, Tootli and other BRUSHES.
Tijcket CUTLERY and SCISSORS.
Needles, I'ins, Hooks and Eyes, and Thimbles.
Calf "Wallets, Porte Monuaies and I^urses.
Clocks &c. &c., also Importers of
Jolm Rogers' Golden Medal Liuen Threads.
New England Pin Co., E. Davis & Co., H. Milwan
& Sons, Empire Knife Co, &c, &c,
■William G. Davis, James P. Baxter, James H. Baxtoi
DANIEL CLARKE & CO.,
NO. 119 MIDDLE STREET,
^7^t lS: } POHTL AND,
.strangers vi<iting the city are invited LkmII an I 'xiinin".
:> r; ." ;■ 3 f'